FOR ALL MY STUDENTS

Teaching teens and helping reduce the achievement gap though the use of technology, love and consistancy.

Thursday, April 5, 2007

THE POWER IN THE POINT (PowerPoint)

I have been teaching, and using PowerPoint for ten years. Over these 10 years I have created hundreds of presentations, numerous Jeopardy games for both core and non-core subjects, and taught at least a thousand students how to create presentations using PowerPoint.

It is my belief that PowerPoint has two main functions in its use; 1) to teach something or 2) to sell something. I have never seen a PowerPoint presentation used for any other end purpose. So, I will continue to use PowerPoint and teach its use based on one of these to ends.

As I do not totally agree with the seven words – seven lines guideline, I will not change what I feel is best for each slide. Yes, in some cases, seven words/lines is reasonable. However, in other cases more words may be required to get the point across. I will be more conscious of “wordy” slides and adjust where necessary.

My main focus will continue to be the audience and purpose of the presentation, and design it around the desired results.

1 Comments:

  • At April 9, 2007 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Dr. W said...

    Kim,

    Let me clarify something regarding the amount of information on a slide....

    When you are conducting a presentation (or selling something), it is best to not have too much information on your slide, thus the rule of seven. However, if you are utilizing powerpoint to teach a concept and have a student learning material on their own (with powerpoint in front of them/interactive, etc.), then the amount of information you place on the slide is indifferent. They have all the time they need to read/process information.
    Games and the like are also a different situation.

    Like you, I've been working with this for over 10 years - these are the lessons learned when coming from a presentation standpoint.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home