FOR ALL MY STUDENTS

Teaching teens and helping reduce the achievement gap though the use of technology, love and consistancy.

Monday, April 30, 2007

NARA Overwhelming At First Look

Could it be there’s a point of too much information? Do you consider 23 links from the first column of a page too much? How about a column with 11 links and a drop down box that offered 25 more links? This is just too much information for me. It was truly overwhelming and quite honestly became immediately intimidating. I did find a class I am going to check into that teaches how to best use NARA, how to research and how to organize information.
In the Archives.gov column I spotted the genealogy and family link. I have been trying to track my great-grandparents arrival at Ellis Island so I clicked on the link. Long story short, I ended up on the Ellis Island website, to which I am already a member. No great insight for me with the genealogy link.
For my vision of working with at-risk students through remediation and computer based curriculum, I don’t think the Archives is something I would request they use. I would use it to supplement textbook curriculum with picture and video links to break up the boredom the can come from sitting at a computer for an hour or more.
The site I do like is the Library of Congress. It offers more items that I believe students would enjoy and it’s very heavy into teacher education.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home